Friday, January 11, 2013

2012...A year in review...somewhat...

At the beginning of the year, I hurt my back, so no sorting for 3 months. Trying to play catch up, and then had my accident in May. Slammed into a solid steel piped fence at about 25mph head first. Thank God I wear a helmet when I ride as I know I wouldn't be here today had it not been for said helmet. I was able to qualify for finals, barely. But during that time, I received a phone call from the secretary of SWTPA. A board member had resigned and I was next on the list, so I took it. As the year went on, a lot of members got to know me better because I worked a lot of the gates and always tried to make them smile when they entered and left the pens. I also became known as "helmet head" due to the fact that I am the only one that wears a helmet. Not the most flattering of nick names, but I am proud that I love myself enough to wear one. Oh, and the threat of my husband that if I don't, he will sell the horses. So I am blessed in knowing that he loves me enough to keep me around. LOL Anyway, I'm off track...

When the time came for our elections, we had 12 spots coming open. (We have 14 spots total). I was nominated again. To my surprise, I was elected back into the BOD for SWTPA. My motto is, "I want what is better for the whole of the organization, not just what is best for me". Because what is best for the whole, will be in the end, what is best for me. I want the organization to succeed and grow, not be tore down. Okay...My mind is wandering again...

Anywho, at our first of the year meeting, I was nominiated and elected as Treasurer. (No one else wanted it.) But, it is a big responsibility and one that must not be taken lightly. So I will do the best job I can.

To be honest, this is a nerve racking just being on the board. You literally learn the meaning of: "You can't please all the people all the time."

Anyway, should you read this and are interested in Team Penning or Ranch Sorting and are close by (North Texas), come on out to a show sometime for Southwest Team Penning Association. Our shows are the forth Saturday of every month with the exception of February, it will be the third Saturday. Our web site is http://www.swtpa.net/home and we would be happy to see you and answer any questions about our sport.





No comments: