Monday, October 26, 2009

Another Sorting jackpot win for Summer!!!!

I just don't think I can truly express my excitement over another jackpot win with Summer. Just thinking about the events of this past Friday night, I get that excited feeling in my chest.

This was my forth time since I have been ranch sorting (about 3 months now) that I have competed in the beginners jackpot. So few times, that I can actually still remember each one. LOL The first was with Cynthia and Robin...bust and bust. The second was with Cynthia and Robin...1st place win with Cynthia, with my girl Summer. The third was with Connie and Robin...2nd place win with Connie, with me on Lark N Lena. And this past Friday with Connie and Robin and another 1st place for me with Connie, with me on my girl again.

Friday I took a vacation day and Tracey and I hung around for most of the day. Going to Horseman's Supply and Teskeys. Bought a little of this and that. Had a really nice day.

We got back to the barn and rode a couple of miles around the barnyard before I had to load up and go to the arena. I think that was good for Summer. She had been out of her stall all day in a grassy turnout and then I had a chance to warm up her muscles before taking her to Roy's. Got to Roy's (the arena), tacked her up again and warmed her up some more.

She was really on, she was really good for me during practice.

As the evening crept in, the temps started to drop pretty good. You could see the steam coming off the horses rumps. About 30 minutes before practice was over, I tied her to the trailer with a bag of hay. I went back inside and just visited with some folks and watched the rest of the practice session. At about 9:15, the Pro-Am jackpot started. I watched the qualifying/first round of the jackpot. That took about 35 minutes...maybe. I didn't watch the second round as I knew I needed to go get Summer and slowly warm her muscles back up. It had gotten down right nippy. I was wearing a sweat shirt, and light jacket and gloves, pretty chilly out. I walked Summer quite a bit in the warm up arena and then gaited her. Got her good and ready for our jackpot runs. Most everyone else runs 3 to 5 runs. My finances (after buying, feed, hay, shavings, stall rent, etc...) only allows for me to run the minimum of 2 runs. (Beginners have to run a minimum of 2 times) Anyway, There were a total of 11 teams. Being the nervous nelly I can be (aren't we all that compete in anything?), I just continued to ride Summer around at a walk to keep her muscles and such warmed up. I didn't want to watch and see what we had to beat. LOL Of course, I couldn't help but look over when a team was running. Most qualified for the second round. Robin and I busted on the first round and I think another team busted. But my other partner, Connie, and I qualified with 3 head. However, Connie and this new guy qualified with 4 head. That made me a little more nervous. I sure did want to win. But don't we all want to win at whatever we are competing at? Isn't that the point? LOL Anyway...I couldn't help but watch the second round while keeping Summer warmed up. (Did I say it got down right cold? LOL) I watched as Robin and a male team mate finish with a total of 6 head. She was happy. But Connie and her male team mate finished with a total of 7. All I was thinking (and I always tell myself), "slow and diliberate, slow... and diliberate." I have learned, going in as a beginner, don't go in with guns a blazin'. That's okay if you have been doin' this awhile, but not good for a beginner to do. You will end up busting. Well, Connie and I got 4 for a total of 7! I threw my left fist in the air and then laid on Summer's neck and gave her a good pat and hug. I was just happy we finished with 7 and no bust. Then the announcer gave us our time, our head count and stated that we were sitting in first!!!!! OMG! She and I gaited like champs out of that sorting pen. I was so happy! However, there were still 2 other teams to go. I couldn't watch. I just kept riding Summer to help her muscles cool down slowly after that fast exersion with the calves. Once again, couldn't help but watch as I rode. (I know...I'm bad) Both of those teams busted. Then Reedy (the announcer) tallied the placings and I heard that Connie and I had won! Connie and her male team mate came in 2nd.

I didn't cry this time. I was just over excited!

But to be honest...I didn't think this would happen again. So why did I compete her again? Hmmmmm? Maybe, deep down...I knew it would happen again. Maybe I have more confidence in Summer than I even know I have. Maybe only Summer knows how much confidence I really have in her and she just sets out so show me everytime I get on her back. Kinda like, "Let me show you what I can do today mom!"

Thank you for reading...

No comments: