Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Short days make for grouchy Tammy...


Ok, I love fall. I love the weather, the colors of the trees, Summer feeling frisky, but I hate these shorter days. I get off work at 5:00, get home by 5:30, and don't get to the barn until 6:00. Of course it is only another 15 minutes or so and it is dark. My horses are in large pens with no lighting, which makes for cleaning their pens and real pain. I have one of those lights that clip to the visor of your baseball cap, that helps. At least the pens are cleaner than they were before.
Of course, when I look at photos like the one above, I can't stay grouchy long when I imagine riding Summer down this beautiful trail.

Luckily one of our round pens has a light and the covered arena has lights. So there are places to work them after dark.

Summer is doing good. I worked her last night in the round pen and she didn't get as tired as she used to. I used to only get about 15 rounds out of her, now I am getting 30. And this is all at a trot. After that, we take a walk around the entire barn yard, main house and such which is 3/10 of a mile. Exercise for me and a cooling down for her. Plus us going on a walk is bonding time.

I would love to find a "catch" rider for her for the Christmas ride at the Six-0, but if not, that is okay too. A catch rider competes your horse if you are unable to. I am the ride secretary for this ride and therefore unable to compete due to conflict of interest. Once again, if she does not compete that is okay too. I am very picky on who rides her. I have asked one girl already because she has a gaited horse and I trust her with my girl. She is thinking about it. She lives in Oklahoma and there in that could be a problem for her to find pet sitters for her critters.

I have already entered the OK Land Run at Lake Carl Blackwell for March of 2008, so I am excited that I am going to start competing. I would say "again" but since I have only competed in NATRC one other time, I won't. (smile)

Well, off for now!
TTFN

No comments: